- How to draw using Scratch
- How to write a series of instructions to tell a computer to draw
- I will be able to make simple shapes in Scratch using a series of instructions
In this lesson we are going to do some drawing using a computer pen. A pen is a tool much like a real pen that allows the computer to draw. We are going to draw interesting shapes using this.
You'll be competeting with each other to try and make the most interesting drawing. Your work will be evaluated based on how complex it is.
You can see a preview of the finished drawing below:
Add the Scratch extension
To be able to use the Pen in Scratch, we need to first add the Scratch Extension.
First, at the bottom left, find the icon and click on it. Your screen should look like this:
Select the extension that says Pen.
- The first step with the Pen tool is to make sure that we have cleared everything from before – just in case we used the Pen and left something on the screen.
- To do this we, must use the following blocks:
|Clears the previous drawings made by the Pen
|Prevents the Pen from drawing when the sprite moves
|Sets the colour of the pen
Drawing a line
To draw a straight line using the Pen tool, we need to add just the following blocks:
The pen down block is used to start drawing. Whenever the Pen is down Scratch will draw underneath the sprite when it moves. It’s much like a Pen and paper.
Making interesting shapes
Try adding the following sequences of blocks to your code and see what you get.
Each shape requires the user to press a different key to get them to appear.
Over to you
Add the following blocks into your sprite. Note for this task you will need a variable called steps.
- Using the Pen tool, draw your own shape.
Insert your name below:
Upload your screenshot below:
How well do think you completed this task?
What parts of this task, if any, did you struggle with?
- A star
- A pentagon
- A house